Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Face in the World, Travel and Collabortive Art

Face in the World
start - charcoal on gesso, birch panel 8x10

In keeping with trying new things - I'm joining in a collaborative art project.  It is being hosted by Ayala Art and is a spin off from the 29 Faces project.  We are a team of 5 people spread across the globe.  Each of us starts a painting with a face theme.  We then send it to the next person in our team for her to add her magic, and so on through the 4 other team members and then back home to me in her finished state.

I've never done collaborative art before.  It teaches us as artists that we can let our work go and its OK.  That each and every piece we create is precious - yet, its OK to let it go out into the world and be altered by someone else.  I'm really excited to watch the progress of this as she travels the globe and lands on an art tables of other artists.  Travel teaches us to see things in a different way than where we call home.  Travel alters our view points and opens our eyes to new vistas.  She definitely won't be the same when she returns. 

From Seattle, she will head to the land down under - Australia.  From there, she will travel back to the US and land in California.  Then, she will catch a flight to the UK and from there to Michigan and then home to Seattle.  I hope to be able to show her progress at each stop.  Her journey will take a few weeks.  I will also show the other artist's pieces as they arrive here and what they look like when they leave from me.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, I love your new look here! This project sounds exciting, and I look forward to seeing the changes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an intriguing face and composition. I actually love all the white space and spare charcoal drawing, but I also am intrigued to see how it will evolve. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...