Tuesday, February 22, 2011

it snowed today*

Black and white photography. I really do love it. But what makes it good? I think its the striking difference of having really black/black and really white/white in the photo. I'd like to learn more about it. So many times photos don't really translate to b&w. I think its because they are nothing but midtones when set to gray scale and they lack that deep contrast. I'm not sure that I nailed this one, but its not bad. Stuck pretty close to the rule of 1/3s here for the compo. It really does seem to work in keeping the composition in line.
My Dad always told me that a good painting has 1/6 black and 1/6 white - the rest is midtones. So does the same rule apply to b&w photography too?
I like the high key overexposed portion of this photo. The textures really show up. f/4.5, ISO 2500, exposure +.7 I let the camera chose the ISO.
It really did snow today. It didn't stick here at our house, but it did to the north of us. It is February, afterall. However, I do have to say - the weather is really confusing me. I'm still trying to warm up.

1 comment:

  1. Great use of the rule of thirds, and great black and white! I agree with you, there needs to be some good contrast to make a nice black and white. I really like this image, it focuses you right in on the mug and then leads you to look at the rest of the picture. Thanks for linking in to Exploring with a Camera!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...