Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Collage Class, Elements and Cutting Paper


Collage:
My New Challenge
(like I needed something else to do)

Accordion Book with today's collage work
I seem to be on some kind of a tangent lately that I am just wanting needing to try new things and expand how I'm thinking in terms of artwork.  I took a Mixed Media and Encaustic class about a week ago and now I am undertaking a 6 week collage class. 
 
Today was the first class - just once a week at the Kirkland Art Center.  The teacher is Larry Calkins who I love because he makes me think way outside of my own personal comfort zone.   And, I will tell you that its good to be outside the lines.. I'm finding that I'm tapping into a creative space that I only dreamed existed.
 
Our assignment? Cut - cut out stuff and put together an accordion book with 8 pages.  Each page is to incorporate the corresponding amount of elements - Page 1 = 1 element, Page 2 = 2 elements, etc.  Well, I only got to 6 - but what a mind bender.  Thinking of composition, placement, narrative... wow, there's a lot to this.  I cut a lot and used a few - 7 and 8 I hope to finish before next week - when we are to bring "something" to collage on - like a mailing envelope or... well, I'm not sure yet, but I have a week to figure it out.
 
Page 1 - 1 Element
The Voyeur
 
 

Page 2 - 2 Elements
Iron Fist
 

Page 3 - 3 Elements
Over Time
 

Page 4 - 4 Elements
Night Owl

Page 5 - 5 Elements
Cool Cat
 
Page 6 - 6 Elements
Party Animals






2 comments:

  1. This is fabulous! I love the play on words..The the heels on Overtime! The Night owl so awesome...all wonderful. Love this new side of you! Very fun! I look forward to seeing more!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very cool... Great images, composition and plays on words... I am so curious and impatient to see how this progresses and how it filters into your work... Love new tangents

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...