Wednesday, January 19, 2011

More on Exposure


I had a cherry day today.

I woke to sunshine - amazing! Seems like forever ago that its been sunny, but I am probably being a little unfair to dear Seattle. However, for the most of my outing there was this cloud that just hung over the sun. Every now and again the sun would break through. The sky all around was blue - go figure.

I decided to take my camera exposure lessons outdoors today. I decided since I am so new to this that I would set my camera on bracket of 1. I have a feature that I can set the camera to shoot 3 photos - the first normal, the second exposure +1 and the third photo -1. I set up for continuous photo shots so it would be rapid fire and I would get three quick photos.

Here are two sets of three photos that really show the exposure differences - the photo above is Normal:: f/8, ISO 200, 1/1000

This photo is exposure -1, f/9, ISO 200, 1/1250

This photo is exposure +1, f/6.3, ISO 200, 1/640

Exposure +1, f/5.3, ISO 200, 1/80

Exposure -1, f/5.6, ISO 200, 1/125

Normal:: f/5.3, ISO 200, 1/160
I actually shot an embarassing amount of photos today due to the three per subject. My actual learning came in when I got home and loaded my photos into the computer. I could then see the differences, some very dramatic. I wasn't sure how to really use exposure outside. My take away on this day is that the exposure -1 photos for the most part were the best ones. There were some exceptions where the normal photo was good. Rarely were there any where the +1 photos worked. Bracketing was a nice place to start I think. I don't think I would go for a whole outing using it again. Today was really an experiment for me and an opportunity to "get some miles under my belt". I have to admit that because of the bracketing, I did not spend the time to look at each histogram after a shot. That will be next time. But, as for today, I have lots of examples, some pretty great photos and a new sense on how exposure works. Now I feel that I can be a little more creative with exposure in my future photos.









Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Love the contrast that the darker versions of the fountain create. Is there an easy way to post the histogram? I'm curious on how they would look different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for sun and for learning new things! Exposure bracketing is handle tool, isn't it? I've come to the same conclusion on it - good for learning but I wouldn't want to shoot that way every time. Beautiful shots too. You found interesting subjects, and I like the composition and light on both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like your first shot was pretty challenging exposure-wise because of the dramatic contrast between the light colored ice and the darker color of the clothing. You've inspired me...I'll have to try bracketing when I get out over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting post - thank you! I love seeing the differences between the various exposures.

    jennifée/littlescribe

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...