Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Rainy Day Sanctuary

About a week ago, I had some time to kill on a rainy day.  A trip to the Seattle Volunteer Park Conservatory has been on my list.  There had been an article in the paper about how the funding was tight and how it perhaps might be closed due to the cost of maintaining this building.  I was really feeling it would be a shame if I didn't get there before it was shut down.  Plus, I had some film to drop off on Capital Hill and I had to wait for it to be developed.  Perfect timing, perfect day for a visit.
It was built 1912 and fashioned after the Crystal Palace in London.You enter under a 35 panel hand blown and etched stained glass canopy.
 There are five Houses within the Conservatory, each with its own theme and climate.  I got to travel around through the botanical world in mere steps. 
 Each room has its own climate that happily supports the lovlies that reside within.  The colors and textures of the plants and foliage were beautiful. 
 I wandered through the Bromeliad House
 Then came upon the Fern House
 The Palm House is where the Orchids live
 The Seasonal Display house was full of beauties
 And of course... can't pass by the Passion Flower
It was a beautiful place to spend a rainy day.  Tomorrow, I'll show you what I saw in the Cactus House.  You can learn more about this place through its friends

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, what a lovely way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is such a shame that beautiful and educational sanctuaries like this often get shutdown due to lack of funding. We had a small glasshouse from the 1800s in our botanic gardens that was neglected for years until somebody decided it would be a good project for a state celebration (I think it might have been a 150 year anniversary or something like it) and suddenly money was thrown at it and it was completely refurbished and promoted. Now we have a pocket of Madagascar in the middle of our capital city. Chances for us to see what we may never see any other way in our lifetimes.

    Sounds like you had fun. I always loved the glasshouses in the same botanic gardens which sound like the maze of rooms and environments you describe here. So much fun to explore and feel the different environments. I hope they find the money.

    Best wishes,
    Liz
    (who lives in a climate almost opposite to that of Seattle - I live in the driest state on the driest continent...we need our glasshouses too)

    ReplyDelete
  3. STUOPENDOUS Photos! All. Thanks for sharing. Many of them beg me to paint them.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh say it isn't so! I love that place! We visited there last June and enjoyed it so much. Although when we were there, someone just the night before had broken in and stolen some money from the donation box...terrible. :-(
    Your photography brought back wonderful memories. I hope it doesn't close. If you'd like to see my post about it, please visit this link. http://patinamoon.blogspot.com/2011/06/flower-conservatory.html#.T7PAQ-2gQUU

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...