Friday, June 29, 2012

The Girls

The Girls
encaustic on birch 18 x 24
These girls went to the art show last week.  I decided last minute to enter a second show that was the same weekend.  It was pretty fun for me to go and see my paintings hanging in the exhibit.   I met my goal I had set for June.  I wanted to get my stuff out of the house and into the world if only for a weekend. 

It helps to set intentions.  It helps me anyway to have something to shoot for.   I aim high, always.  Why not?  See what happens.  Sometimes we hit the target dead on and its an amzing thing to realize that you hit it!  Yet, I can't tell you the number of times I've aimed a little too high and things fall to my feet like the leaves in the autumn.  I can't say I've ever hurt myself by setting high intentions.  I've been disappointed yes, but that's part of the process.  It's the stepping stone and its OK to fall.  Even when things fall flat or short or the aim is too high, it seems like there is something that is invaluable about the experience.  There is a lesson, or a small golden nugget laying within the downfall.  That nugget is what keeps us going for the next try.  Do I sometimes overlook the nugget, the good thing that comes from the mess?  Yes, its easy to do.  But, even through disappointment we need to sift and find the one good thing that's there.  There is always a good thing - always.

The show experience for me was a target hit - dead on.  Met my goal to get the paintings out there.  Got accepted into the shows.  Even sold one!  Two more hits - bam, bam.   The disapointment - the Girls didn't make the cut and never left the back room of the show.  Mrs. Finch and Mint also didn't make the cut.  My golden nugget?  Whisper (my header painting) got seven votes for people's choice award.  That meant a lot to me.

Thank you to all of you who helped me select the paintings to go to the shows last week by giving feedback on the choices in my post last Friday.  I SO appreciate all of you and your kind words.  Happy Paint Party Friday everyone!  Can't wait to blog hop and see what all you are creating!


29 comments:

  1. Fabulous post Marji... and BIG congratulations... on having work selected for two shows and a sale...WOW... good on you... your work is incredibly beautiful... and I LOVE that you aim high... very inspirational...

    Hugs
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow am so loving your wonderful girls, you are such a fab artist. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fantastic post and a great lesson for us all. Congratulations on the art show and on selling a painting and I personally think the girls is wonderful but it seems that art is so very subjective (which makes it hard when its a piece we especially are proud of and for some reason others don't see it the same way).

    ReplyDelete
  4. there is a lovely feeling to this piece.
    congrats on following through and doing the things you want to do.

    The top piece that you said got 7 votes, it has gorgeous light in it, i think light is essential and magic in art and photography.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you. I need to do more of this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goals are always good to strive for. If you don't do anything you get nothing so if there are disappointments at least you tried. Congrats on doing what you did and getting it all out there even if a couple great paintings didn't get appreciated...THIS TIME.. There is always next time. This isn't the only show in town. Happy PPF.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post and congratulations on the show and sell, that's awesome! I love the modern look of The Girls and Whisper is wonderful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So great paintings. Congratulation on the show, It sure feels good to look at your work on walls other than in your studio..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the show, your paintings are really gorgeous! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm all for aiming high too - good for you. The paintings are fab.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the sale! :) Girls look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to you on being in the show, making a sale and reaching a goal ~ Love the painting of the 'girls' ~ Bravo! ~ thanks, ^_^ (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your encaustics never cease to amaze me - Absolutely stunning! I am so impressed with your intention setting... It is very inspirational to see others going after their dreams! Congratulations on the shows, the sale, and the people's choice award! Hooray!!!

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's fabulous that you set a goal, and met it! And sold a painting, plus, and this is no surprise, got votes for best painting. It's a stunning piece of work. I can't believe Mrs. Finch didn't make the cut though, I adore that one...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the sale - your work is beautiful. You visited my blog eatpaintlearn.com and asked what app I use on my iPad. My favorite by far is Sketch Club and my second favorite is Brushes. Sorry, I would have replied directly, but you are set up as a no-reply blogger. If you would like to change those settings I have a tutorial on my blog HERE

    ReplyDelete
  16. huge congrats on the sale... that is always a thrill and so happy that getting your work out there was so positive...xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cant believe the girls didn't make it - they are so lovely! congrats on all the other good things though! rare for an event to be so productive

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Marji, Wow, fabulous artwork. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on the show and your sales. It's alway great to sell. Your girls are stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love "The Girls." Your skin tones are so very nice! I'm glad you hit your goals. I am always afraid to set them, because I hate to fail myself, but I think your attitude is excellent. Finding the good in mixed experiences can be a valuable trait. Thanks for a beautiful piece and an interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on meeting your June goal and selling a painting, too!

    Love what you write about setting goals...reminds me of the Michelangelo quote:
    "The greatest danger for most of us
    is not that we aim too high and we miss it,
    but that we aim too low and we reach it.”
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on the sale and the goal that you have met. Your painting is great! I can't believe you can achieve that with encaustics! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Marji,
    Congratulations on setting your intentions and getting your work out into the public where it belongs. How wonderful to have your work in a show and to sell a piece. Your work is beautiful and deserves to be appreciated.

    I agree with you about setting your goals high. No matter what happens there is always something we can learn from the experience. And we are often pleasantly surprised by what happens when we take a chance.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Your words and your work is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on your exhibit, Marji. It is all worth the effort. Your paintings are beautiful and the Girls are a special one even if it wasn't included. Who knows in the next exhibit? Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations Marji, I agree there is always something to learn from disappointment!! Rejection is a part of an artist/writer life...doesn't mean it's not excellent...just means they don't need it at this time!! I can't help but wonder if there isn't a secret part of you that isn't ready to release the girls yet...
    Your work is truly beautiful!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  26. wonderful work, wonderful words!!! congrats
    cheers, dana

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The gals have distinct personalities, great job. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...