Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Inspiration 2



Today I pulled together my second inspiration file.  Its a new file and titled Inspiration 2. Inspiration - the original, was created in January/February of this year.  This is my second time in Kat's class.
I hadn't looked at Inspiration 1 for several months and it was an interesting exercise in an of itself.  None of the original photos from that file made the cut to move on to Inspiration 2. 
So, what does this say?  
Well, what it says to me is that I have grown as a photographer since then.  My eye has changed but the core things I love were still there only better - thankfully :)  
My interests have changed some.  I notice in my current file, there are more black and white photos.  I have a great interest in trying to shoot in black and white and have recently moved to trying to shoot in RAW.
I spoke of capturing photos that show soul.  I thought more on that and all of your lovely comments.  Kat noted that when you shoot things that are your passion or that really interest you, or touch you in some way even if quirky - this is where the magic lies.  Now, it may only speak to you, as the one capturing the moment.  I have certain photos that yes, only a mother would love.  But, to me... they speak.  To others, well... OK, maybe not or maybe not yet. What I'm hoping for, is that armed with this knowledge that I can shoot more meaningful photos. Like the photo above for example.  I LOVE this photo.  To me it speaks volumes about the things I love - nature, texture, light and shadow. 
For more on soul in photography, there is a Flickr group called SoulScapes that has some really amazing photos that are invitation only.  Also, if you are not familiar with Jen Lemen - check out her interview and see how photography can make a difference.  If you don't have time to watch the entire video at least watch from the 7 minute mark.  The last 1 minute of her video speaks totally of what we are trying to acheive.


Her blog is HERE
What more can I say?  I think Jen summed it up pretty well.

7 comments:

  1. i wish i was taking kat's class! i'll be interested to see how it goes for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jen's video - she so speaks right to the heart of the matter. It's interesting that your inspiration file has changed! You have changed too, and it shows. That's one of the wonderful, and sometimes frustrating things, as an artist I think. That we can grow and change and our vision of the world does too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this. I am really interested that your inspiration file has changed. I hadn't considered that this might happen but actually it makes perfect sense that it could, per Kat's comment above. Great video too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading this as much as why one photographs. Finding what inspires you about your own photographs is not as easy as it seems. Yours was inspiring to read as was the video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a powerful post, and the added video is so thought provoking and inspiring. I appreciate your words about how your inspiration has changed. This will be helpful to me as I am pulling together my own inspiration file.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this inspiring post. I had a similar experience in putting together my second inspiration file -- in just a few months my favorites changed. I have thousands of photos, and, for various reasons, I love many of them. Now I have a newer and better camera, and it's giving me a chance to really capture the images that I want to share -- the one that really connects to my soul. Now off to check out Jen Lemen.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...